Thursday 21 February 2013

Nearly finished!


Mr Unicorn got his hair in this week.

 Unicorn Project

I'd bought some beautiful Tibetan Lambswool from -link- (who I'd definitely recommend as a seller!) a month or so ago and it was really lovely to work with even though I seem to have inhaled more hair than glued. XD

The mane was the easy part as all I needed to do was cut out a couple of long strips and glue it on but the beard and chest hair/mane was a little more tricky.I ended up layering the strips of hair for the chest part and using individual hanks for the beard which worked well on one side but terribly on the other. :/

Unicorn Project

Unicorn ProjectUnicorn Project


For a while he modelled this rather fetching (and important!) sign too... XD

Unicorn Project


Next came the flocking and oh god, just getting to this point was STRESS-FUUUUULLL!

I knew I needed some white and a fleshtone colour and I assumed that flock would be relatively easy to get hold of as an art material but when I came away from both big art shops in town empty handed I started to get a little bit concerned. I ended up getting the bus out to the Glasgow Fort shopping centre (through which I lost money as the fare was £3.45 and I only had a five pound note and they didn't give change, arrhhgh!) to try the big Hobbycraft there as I knew they had a lot of scrapbooking/cardmaking stuff.

Alas, all they had in the way of flock was a single pack of glitter flock.

Photobucket

I bought it anyway as I thought I could use it to practice with and I may be able to use it for future projects but still, it was a disappointing day as I'd been so sure I'd get what I needed there that I didn't bother to order some online as a backup! As a result I spent the journey back to Glasgow on my phone, frantically trying to find somewhere that would sell the colours I needed for a reasonable price and - most importantly - would send them as quickly as possible. To my relief I managed to find some and ordered it up there and then. They arrived yesterday and to say that I was underwhelmed was something of an understatement. I'd been so fixated on just buying some flock that I hadn't read the description properly and had ended up buying some absolutely TINY tubs of the stuff. I was so worried I wouldn't have enough that I ordered some more last night, only to discover this morning that I actually had more than I needed. XD

Unicorn Project

I still need to do another couple of layers tomorrow I think but the colours blend nicely enough and so far none of it has fallen off so I think *touchwood* I'm going to be ok! (BTW my iPhone photos really don't give the right colour cast - the photo above is closer to actual colour than the one below which looks too pink.)


He still needs his base finished off but the actual head is more or less finished now! All going well I should have him mounted up and completed by tomorrow or Friday. :D

Unicorn Project 

 Unicorn Project



Unicorn Project 


(and because I'm really sad...)




10 comments:

  1. LOL! I love the video at the end!

    Make me one please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XD

      Heh, I think I'd like to sculpt a mini one instead - much less stressful!

      Delete
  2. ERMAGERD!

    He looks FANTASTIC! If you don't get an A+ on this project, I will talk to your professor on your behalf!
    How did you get his "Do Not Touch" sign to stick to his nose? o.O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahahah! XD

      Heh, I think Simon's pretty pleased with him so I don't think I'll be failing this one, lol.
      What do you mean? He's CLEARLY holding it in his teeth. :P
      (double-sided tape, cough, cough)

      Delete
  3. Awesome!! He looks great!
    You did a great job on him!

    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally love him! The eyes are very awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I still can't get over how well the eyes turned out - I hated them to begin with but as soon as they were put on I couldn't have been happier with them, lol.

      Delete
  5. Extra points are awarded accordingly.

    Here is my web-site best video games of 2010

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks awesome with the hair, the flocking and short fur worked wonders too! :) Thank you for the link and lovely comment <3 Inhaling fur happens to me a lot too, now I'm certain I have quite furry lungs, and perhaps a little bit glittery, lol

    ReplyDelete