Monday 22 June 2015

Royal Highland Show 2015 - Part 5 - Showjumping

I'm not going to lie, this is my favourite thing to photograph.

I'm also not going to lie about the fact that this post is an absolute behemoth so please forgive me, I took a LOT of photos of the jumping and I'm not very good at choosing which ones to post. XD

Showjumping Talentseekers



There were a few SJ classes throughout the day but I wasn't able to keep track of what was which so they're all going to be labelled as simply 'showjumping' haha.

I know this was the Working Hunters Adult because we'd just missed it and only saw the lap of honour. It was a shame as I really like WH classes.

Working Hunters Adult

Working Hunters Adult

Working Hunters Adult

Later on the arena (which took me most of the afternoon to realise was no longer grass) was reorganised for either the 'Highland Challenge', 'A & B Stakes' or 'Talentseekers'
I'm pretty sure most of my photos are of the Talentseekers class but I stand to be corrected.

I think this was the tail end of the Highland Challenge.

Showjumping Highland Challenge

Showjumping Highland Challenge

Showjumping Highland Challenge

The bucket-fearing mare from earlier found herself some fans in the form of small children, whilst waiting to go.

 Showjumping Warmup

Showjumping Warmup



Showjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping Talentseekers

It's not always easy to photograph showjumping with a macro lens as it's designed for close up work rather than distance, but I love the depth of field it's capable of producing so I'm happy to miss having a zoom.

Showjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping Warmup

Showjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping Talentseekers

I love this shade of bay.

Showjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping Talentseekers

Another gorgeous grey!

Showjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping Talentseekers

I had my celebrity spotting moment when I recognised the legendary Tim Stockdale and 'Bling Bling IV' who I've just looked up to find out the name of, and found out they came second in the 'Royal Highland International Stairway'...which wasn't listed on the programme I have so god knows which class I thought it was! Still, very well done to them! I looked on his facebook page and he said it's his first time at the RHS but really enjoyed it so hopefully he'll be back next year.

Showjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping Talentseekers



Showjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping Talentseekers


Showjumping Talentseekers

There was a really bad fall in the afternoon. The horse crashed through one of the fences at the back and the rider went flying. Magda thinks she saw the horse strike her with its foot as they fell but we're not sure what happened exactly. All I know is that the horse legged it, bucking and jittering all over the place but the rider didn't move from where she'd landed on the ground. Immediately people rushed to her side but she still didn't get up and the onsite ambulance drove over. We didn't want to pry, so we moved on to look at the cattle as it could be a while before the jumping restarted, and if she was seriously injured it was hardly a spectator sport. I've since had a google but couldn't find out anything more so I'm hoping no news is good news!

Showjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping Talentseekers

This pair jumped well until the horse put in a refusal and the rider gave it a smack, or rather several.

Showjumping TalentseekersShowjumping TalentseekersShowjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping Talentseekers

I think they were eliminated in the end as it refused again, rearing all over the place.

Showjumping Talentseekers

I don't have an issue with giving a horse a smack with the crop as a reprimand, but one is sufficient - any more and you're just being cruel.

Showjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping Talentseekers
Oh how I wish that I'd moved more to the left and avoided that post. >.<

Showjumping Talentseekers

Horses. Such graceful animals.

Showjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping Talentseekers

Somatic mutation on this one's bum. :P

Showjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping Talentseekers


Showjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping Talentseekers

The bucket-fearing mare had a good round I think.

Showjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping Talentseekers

I've never seen a wild bay with so little black on its legs before!

Showjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping Talentseekers


This mare took a disliking to something in the corner and went up...

Showjumping TalentseekersShowjumping TalentseekersShowjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping Talentseekers

I often meander between the warmup area and ring 6, where the actual class was being held as I find I get much nicer portraits of the horses during the warmup as they're a lot closer to me.

Showjumping Warmup

Showjumping Warmup

Showjumping Warmup

Showjumping Warmup

This pair were doing incredibly well.

Showjumping Talentseekers

..until, well...

Showjumping TalentseekersShowjumping TalentseekersShowjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping TalentseekersShowjumping TalentseekersShowjumping Talentseekers

He called it a day afterwards as the horse clearly wasn't keen.

Showjumping Talentseekers

...and the award for weirdest approach and takeoff goes to...

Showjumping TalentseekersShowjumping TalentseekersShowjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping Talentseekers

I think this is possibly my favourite showjumping photo ever.

Showjumping Talentseekers

Showjumping Talentseekers

And finally, I leave you with this gorgeous little pony I saw in the warmup ring.

Rabicano!

Showjumping Warmup

Showjumping Warmup

Showjumping Warmup


Part 6 - Cows, Sheep and Everything Else will be coming up soon. :D


2 comments:

  1. Love it! I saved about a million. I don't mind your lack of culling at all!

    ReplyDelete